Thursday, April 21, 2011

Adventures with Eggs

So this Easter I have been trying to think of new ways to dye eggs. I have found some really cool things thanks to my favorite blogs!! Me and Aimee have been finding old ties or anything that is 100% silk.  We hit the DI and Old Hags and Bags and raided my father in laws closet. We have found some pretty cool things. I wanted to test this out before we get together with everyone just to make sure it works. So you start with a raw egg and wrap it in 100% silk with the right side of the fabric facing the egg. Then you twist tie it together. Next you cut up an old light colored pillow case or sheet and wrap the egg in in and then twist tie it again.  You get you water boiling and add 1/3 cup of vinegar. Put the eggs in and boil for 30 min.  I only did 20 but i think if I would of boiled it longer the dye would of transferred better.  You take them out of the water and then let them cool and than unwrap them and see the cool design that it leaves on the egg. The blog that i was on, her eggs look really awesome.  The 3 we did, didn't turn out as bright. That why I think next time I will let them boil longer.  The kids really enjoyed it though. I could find Jaces egg today and asked him where it was. He went to the fridge and got it out of the egg carton and said "Mom its just hanging out with its friends" I laughed so hard. What little kids don't think of.




The top egg was wrapped in a darker silk and the bottom egg was in like a yellow colored silk. I hope my next pics will be better.  Its a really fun idea and a different way to do eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment